If you’re a single parent owed thousands of dollars in child support, you’re not alone. Both Illinois and Missouri have robust child support systems and you do not need an attorney to get the money you are due. In Illinois, the Department of Healthcare and Families Services’ Division of Child Support Services will help you get a child support order, collect payments, collect overdue payments, and more. The Missouri Department of Social Services Child Support program provides the same services. In most cases, you can get help without leaving home either online or on the phone.

However, having an attorney represent you in your child support case probably will get your case through the system more quickly and ensure the best results for your family.