Steele Law Offices, LLC

Your hometown attorney for life’s legal matters

Call 618-288-9591
to speak with Randall 

Steele Law Offices, LLC

Your home town attorney for life’s legal matters

Randall P. Steele

Personally investing in each client’s legal
objectives and achieving those goals together.

Personally investing in each client’s legal
objectives and achieving those goals together.

What does it take to get a change to child custody?

On Behalf of | Oct 3, 2021 | Family Law |

After a divorce with children, some issues may arise that require a reappearance in court. If you feel like a change in child custody is necessary, you may want to explore your options.

When an Illinois judge decides custody, it is with the children’s best interests at the forefront. If the decision made during the divorce no longer works, you may request a modification. Take a look at two scenarios that may predicate a change in your custody agreement.

Change in other parent’s circumstances

Perhaps you need a custody modification due to the other parent’s lack of involvement. When one parent does not follow through on visitation or financial support, it may cause undue stress on the children. You may want to start keeping track of the breakdown in communication with you and the children to show the court that a substantial change happened.

Change in career

A modification may become necessary if you want to relocate with your children. A court may grant a relocation if you can show that it will positively impact the children. One way to do this is to show that a career change that takes you out of state may improve your quality of life. A judge may consider a career change substantial, whether it affords you more money or more time with the children. You may have to revamp the parenting plan and demonstrate your willingness to do what you can to facilitate a healthy relationship between the other parent and the children.

Modifying custody is not impossible, but it may prove difficult. If your ex is not adhering to the current orders, and you have the chance to improve your life elsewhere, a court may grant the request.