Steele Law Offices, Llc
Helping you with All Your Legal Matters
618-623-4358 Local
800-694-1911 Toll Free
View Our Practice Areas

What if the father of your child doesn't show any interest?

Imagine the following situation: You've been happily married for five years, and then you have a baby. At first, your husband was happy and excited to have your child, but after the baby was born everything changed. Your spouse refused to connect with your baby or help with his or her care. In fact, a couple months after the baby's birth, he abandoned you and your family and you haven't seen him since, nor received any financial help from him.

In situations of child abandonment, a parent can move forward with a few different options depending on the circumstances of the birth and abandonment:

  • Claim sole custody rights: Sometimes mothers who are left single by the other parent would rather raise their child unfettered by the wants and parental demands of the other individual. In these situations -- if the mother was unmarried -- he or she might claim sole custody of her child and allow the abandoning father to go his separate way.
  • Demand child support: Whether the mother was legally married to the father or not, she will have the legal right to collect child support from the abandoning father, and she can pursue that child support in court if necessary.
  • Strip the father of his parental rights if married: If the woman is married, the father will automatically have parental rights. In the case of abandonment and extreme disinterest, however, a court may agree to take the father's parental rights away.

Regardless of what kind of parenting dilemma you're facing as a single mother, the Illinois family law system is there to help. Learn what your legal rights and options are as a solo mom, and protect them in court if necessary.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Office

Steele Law Offices, LLC
200 West Main Street
P.O. Box 280
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
Local: 618-288-9591
Fax: 618-288-9310

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.